Kingsbury High school started out as Kingsbury County School in a premises on the Edgware road between Colindale and Edgware on the 15th September 1925.
The first Headmaster was Mr Tracy. He had a staff of eight teachers, five full time and three part-time. The school roll increased and in 1929 a new school was built in Princes Avenue by John Laing and Co at a cost of cost £43,638.
The school changed its name to Kingsbury County Grammar School in 1944 as a result of legislation of the 1944 Education Act. Entrance to grammar schools was based on the national ‘eleven plus’ examination .
The two local secondary modern schools, Tyler’s Croft Girls and Boys were opened in 1952, they remained successful schools until their merger with Kingsbury County Grammar School in 1967. Mr Tracy retired in 1949 and was succeeded by Dr Payling. Dr Payling left in 1954 and was succeeded by Mr Jones who had taught at the School earlier.
Mr Jones faced the difficult task of managing the School’s transition from being a grammar school to a comprehensive school. The London Borough of Brent had taken over the responsibility for the school and reorganised all of its secondary schools as comprehensive schools. In 1967 Kingsbury county Grammar school was amalgamated with two secondary modern schools, Tylers Croft Secondary School for boys and Tylers Croft Secondary for girls which were based on one site in Bacon Lane. Mr Jones designated the Bacon Lane site as the Lower School under the management of a Head of Lower School. The new school was to be called Kingsbury High School.
Three years after the reorganisation Mr Jones retired and the governors appointed Mr C Mitchell in 1970. Mr Mitchell served 18 years as Headmaster and was responsible for a series of important developments.
During the 1970’s and 1980’s , a large thriving and enterprising Asian community grew up in the Kingsbury area. The school role increased to 1750 and the proportion of ethnic minority children in the school increased apace. Mr Mitchell retired in 1988 and the Governors appointed Philip Snell , a former teacher and successful head of neighbouring Preston Manor High School to succeed as Headmaster.
In 1993 a majority of parents voted for the School to gain Grant Maintained Status. The School was to benefit financially with an expanding budget and took over control of its own admissions.
Mr Snell’s interest in curricular advances and the new information technology resulted in the building of the first computer based Open Learning Centre in Princes Ave with a special link for weather forecasting. The school rapidly gained a national reputation of computing. This was evident when Her Majesty the Queen, personally chose the School for her launch of the royal web site. In January 2000 the school received a second excellent OFSTED report.
Mr Snell retired in 2003 and was succeeded by Mr C Chung, a former teacher of the school.
During Mr Chung’s period Kingsbury High gained specialist status in Mathematics and Computing and became known for outstanding examination results, especially in Mathematics.
In January 2010, Mr Chung was succeeded by Jeremy Waxman OBE, who had been a Headteacher in Yorkshire for ten years prior to joining Kingsbury High. July 2010 saw a highly successful Ofsted inspection as a result of which the school was designated “Good with Outstanding Features”. Among the most outstanding of these features is the highly successful sixth form which achieves a value added performance comparable with the best schools for miles around.